Skip to main content Skip to site map link

 Visiting My Family Doctor

Couple consulting with a Doctor

If you are experiencing a lot of pain with your condition, you should consult your family doctor.

When you have osteoarthritis, you can take steps to self-manage your condition. A few simple lifestyle changes can slow the progress of the disease, delay complications, and help you live well.

For more information visit the Arthritis Society of Nova Scotia website.

Don’t hesitate to talk to your doctor about your condition and your treatment options. As well, ask your doctor about ways to manage your pain. Your family physician can decide if you need to be assessed by an orthopaedic surgeon.

You should also visit your family doctor before having any surgery, to review your medical conditions and medications and how they might be affected by your surgery.

What to Ask

Some questions you may want to consider asking your family doctor are:

  • What kind of arthritis do I have?
  • What causes osteoarthritis, and what are my treatment options?
  • What kinds of physical activity are okay to do and what should I avoid?
  • What types of medication can I take to manage my osteoarthritis?
  • Do I need to be referred to an orthopaedic surgeon?
  • How long will it be before I see a surgeon?
  • How can I lose weight when I have trouble moving around?
  • What exercise is appropriate given my hip or knee joint problems?
  • Would it help to get my hip or knee joint injected with a medication to relieve my pain, and how long will it last?
  • What else can I do besides taking medication to relieve my hip or knee joint pain?